full photostream voidloo. create with flickr badge.

January 17, 2008

Better Than Buck-A-Beer

For years I've had hundreds of dollars worth of homebrew equipment sitting in the basement collecting dust. At a time, my parents were all over homebrewed beer, wine, and brandy, using equipment mostly acquired for free from an old family friend.

23L of homebrew - Photo Hosted at BuzznetBy the time I was almost 19, the equipment hadn't been touched in 7 or 8 years, and I decided to try to resurrect it with an old malt kit at least as old. I knew enough at the time that I would need fresh brewers yeast to actually ferment the beer, but aside from that neglected the past due date.

I managed to stomach half a beer from that batch before pouring the rest of it down the drain. Another 5 years later, I decided to give it a go again, and this time I'm somewhat more pleased. I bottled the 23L batch today, and even right out of the fermenter it tastes alright. A couple weeks of bottle fermentation and it should be a great source of cheap thrills. The only problem being that I managed to screw some part of the process up, and the estimate for final alcohol content by volume is around 3.2%.

Still, at a third of the price of the cheapest piss-water from the beer store, I'll take it and try to get more out of it on the next run.