full photostream voidloo. create with flickr badge.

February 23, 2005

Cold War Solution to New Age Problem

Paul Martin and friends down in Ottawa took a step in the right direction today by finally making the decision not to join, at least in full capacity, the United States Missile Defense scheme. Besides the fact that Canada manages to avoid serious troubles with the more high powered governments on the planet, and is generally free of any direct threat (while I am not naïve enough to believe that Canada could never be targeted by some attack down the road), and besides the fact that there are much better things that our government could could spend its money on, and disregarding the failing missile interception tests run in the past couple months by the U.S., there is the general understanding that the Cold War symbolically ended in 1990 with the fall of the Berlin Wall. I could be completely wrong in my assumption, but I would tend to think that the greatest threat to the U.S., even in the nuclear weapon sense, no longer lies in ICBM's launched over the Arctic or Northern Pacific, but in things like suitcase nukes. This whole missile defense thing to me seems like a relic military plan from the days of duck and cover (which is one of the few things I'm glad I missed of the middle of the 20th century). Needless to say, I'm glad that it looks like Canada is taking a stand against the action.

On another note, here's a map with a reminder, just so I remember where Iran is ahead of the reports that will probably pop up with increasing frequency in the next while:


No comments: