full photostream voidloo. create with flickr badge.

January 03, 2007

The Home Stretch

Nothing will quite make you feel old like walking in to a first year arts course in the last term of your bachelors degree. All so young and naive and still pretty much straight out of highschool, and most without a clue of what they actually want to do, but just going through the motions. I suppose I incited the same feelings some 6 plus years ago already when I found my way into my first university class.

It was a general interest course in descriptive astronomy, listed under the science department, but not valid as a credit towards a science degree. It was a night course on top of that, so the spread in the class had me, at 17, to a man who appeared to be in his early sixties taking classes to keep the mind fresh. It took me about 2 classes to learn that you didn't actually have to try to jot down every single word of the lecture. Combined with the advent of profs making coursenotes more readily available online, the note-taking practice has been carefully revised over the years following, and a sixth sense for the actual relevant/exam worthy points has been well developed.

That skill too will grow on the kids in my 1st year classes this term, but in the mean time they will sit there scribbling every passing comment made, and chatting it up incessantly over the lecturer in between. And I will sit there feeling older than I am, but not young enough to be amused by it all anymore. Four months from now if I was in the States I'd be accredited with B.S., but I'll have to settle for my B.Sc.