full photostream voidloo. create with flickr badge.

February 23, 2007

Mid Degree Crisis?

Photo Hosted at BuzznetAs I've expressed here frequently of late, I'm not a fan of my honours thesis project. A week off that should have seen me focus on it saw me look at it for maybe 3 hours in making some simple plots to keep supervisors happy and responding to a few e-mails. I was supposed to go in one day this week to learn how to prepare some of my samples for yet another set of analyses, but didn't get an e-mail telling me when that would happen.

Apparently the next tests will take the better part of 3 weeks to finish, while I am supposed to have a rough draft of a thesis written for next week. I could write the thesis around the data I am still waiting on, but instead I'm using it as an excuse to string things out even further. So long as I have things in order for my presentation near the end of March, there shouldn't be any issues. In the mean time I just cannot bring myself to sit down and put things together.

At first I thought I was just sick of schooling in general, but I am taking other courses this term, and aside from the typical gripes, am enjoying them. Infact, having saved some arts electives til the end of my degree and now taking the same style introductory courses I took 4 years ago, I've found a bit more interest than I had of late. I'm certainly not about to switch into a 4 year Psychology degree or anything ridiculous like that, but it holds interest well enough.

Instead, its the self directed thesis portion of things that's dragging me down right now. I am hoping that its simply the fact that I was never enthusiastic (to say the least) about my topic to begin with that is most of the reason for my dragging my ass. If its the self directed research side of things, then perhaps going on to get my Masters won't be the best idea. The problem with stopping now of course would be that I don't like most of the jobs I could go fill with my Bachelors degree. In truth, I've had the feeling lately that I'd be most happy doing under the table computer repairs, or at worst registering as a small business and doing the same.

Photo Hosted at BuzznetSo long as I could make enough money to roughly maintain the same lifestyle I have now for the long term I'd be satisfied. I've never carried illusions of leaving a major mark on society, or making myself a rich man. A few extravagancies (my beer, my music, my computer, my home theatre and my steak) are all I really need. Beyond that, making contributions where I can; being an intelligent person and passing on any wisdom possible when possible are all I motivate myself with.

We'll see what waking up in the morning for the next few months brings in terms of new motivation, or job opportunity. In the mean time, I'd be happy to fix your computer problems at minimum wage + parts and travel!