full photostream voidloo. create with flickr badge.

March 02, 2008

The Duke

After going out for a public skate last night with a loop of hits from the 70's and 80's or something, and dodging little kids zig zagging all over the place, we went out to the Duke of Wellington, usually a good enough little pub, for a few drinks. By the time we were done, I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

I understand that when you have live music acts at your bar, you tend to feature them. But having them so loud that the waitress won't even go through a few beers on the beer list is ridiculous. Especially when its a cover band. If I wanted to hear Honky Tonk Women rocked out, I'd go to the next Stones farewell tour.

Now, I know they are one of the hosts of the Go Festival next week. I understand that people will be filing in simply because of the local indie original talent, that's fine, play the music loud. Hell I even hope to catch an act or two at one of the venues. But lets not have cover bands jacked up so loud that people, apparently including the waitress can't hear themselves think.

When a waitress forgets an order of fries that she even asks whether you'd like gravy or curry sauce with, and then forgets again when you openly ask her if your fries are coming, you either need new serving staff, or to turn that shit down. And how about, instead of having the waitress try to yell out to the table what items are no longer available on their menu that's changing, you take a sharpie and cross out those items for the time being.

I can tell you I won't be back to see the new menus any time soon.