full photostream voidloo. create with flickr badge.

December 25, 2005

Mellow Christmas

Photo Hosted at Buzznet.comAs a kid, our family always opened gifts right after midnight mass. My brother and I were told to go get some sleep so that we would be awake for mass, and Santa would come while we were gone. This meant that I was laying there eyes wide open for a few hours until it was time to get my sunday best on.

Of course later I was quick to realize that the nap served only to let my parents wrap the last of the gifts and get them ready to put under the tree while I anxiously waited in the car to go to church and get the formalities out of the way. At church too, the kids would make eye contact, and there would be nothing but excitement in them, because they too would be going home shortly to open at least a few parcels. And the parents wound up from 'shhhing' their kids the whole evening, and knowing that their hours spent in the malls were soon going to come to some kind of fruition.

These days though, things are much more subdued. My grandmother typically comes over to enjoy some snacks and the company on Christmas Eve before systematically visiting with almost all of her other eleven sons and daughters over the week before New Years. The past few years though her health has been in decline. If at all, she and my mom go to mass early with my brother while I put any remaining surprises under the tree, get a fire going (while hoping that no squirrels have taken up residence in the chimney in the year since its last use) and throw some hors d'oeuvres in the oven.

Instead of the excitement of gifts these days, its the enjoyment of relaxation. I don't think anything could have been more relaxing than trying to get my fire of damp cherry wood lit while sipping some delicious Dutch beers that I got for my birthday, and eating potstickers. No surprises, no unnecessary excitement, just chilling out with the family and watching the groans as they open the gifts I put a little of my own personal touch to.

Merry Non-Denominational Holiday Season to everyone, hopefully you're finding your own slice of enjoyment.

No comments: