full photostream voidloo. create with flickr badge.

August 24, 2006

Fishy

Last week I thought it would be a good idea to add some variety to the fish tank downstairs. Really, I was just sick of the boring gold fish lazing about the tank, so I picked up a South American Silver Cat. I'd had one before, a couple years back, and had it grow to a 5 or 6 inch long fish before we went away on a trip and it was overfed by my grandmother who was still active and able back in those days. They can be spastic little things, with a smooth sharklike skin, and they're a bunch more entertaining than your 5 cent goldfish.

Unfortunately, this one must have been carrying a disease from the store, and within two days of getting it in the tank it was belly up. My thought was just that it was shocked and that did it in, even though I've never really had much of an issue like that with fish in the past. But then, another 3 days after the silver cat made its journey through the municipal sewer system, the rest of the goldfish went for a float too.

And so yesterday morning was spent draining, disassembling and cleaning out the tank, right up until the part where I pulled something in the back of my right shoulder while rinsing out the tank and nearly dropped the damn thing on my feet. The shoulder ached for the rest of the day, and quashed any hopes, real or imagined, of getting some drywall up, all on top of the wasted morning. All for a bloody 4 dollar fish. I need to find myself some better hobbies.

And instead of going to the beach this week like I'd hoped, I was an idiot and answered the phone this morning to accept some work at my recently departed job because they're too swamped around there to get everything done. Between all the moving and running around, it hardly feels like I've even been off work in the first place.

Check the Colbert Video Challenge.

No comments: