full photostream voidloo. create with flickr badge.

June 04, 2006

Excitement in Destruction

When there's no-one around its a lot easier to get shit done. No people getting in your way, or nagging or interruptions. I have an empty house to myself today and got the lawn mowed, dishes done, and a new screen built for the door that opens from my room to the upstairs balcony.

The thing about having an upstairs porch out of your room is that heat rises. That, coupled with my computer running 24/7, means windows and doors need to stay open as much as possible. But the flies and mosquitos are starting to come out in force, and while I'm not particularly concerned about my brain swelling from a West Nile infection, the little bastards buzzin around your ears is annoying. Enter the screen.

I think my mom and brother went to some circus today. Not Toronto with the DVP and Gardiner shut down, not the increasingly busy big box store plazas around here which are poppin up like zits on that boy who they say eats too many chocolate bars, but the kind that sells you cotton candy and comes complete with clowns and all that colourful crap.

Sure I liked the circus as a kid, but now I know better. The only real excitement I can see is in hoping for those trapeze artists to fall and break something or a tiger to go all nuts on Sigfried and Roy wannabes in the centre ring. The joy isn't actually there in the planned event, but what could happen. Nascar is akin to the circus, in that they only have one real reason to watch. And with the safety nets under the big top and all these shock absorbing cars now, even that is diminished.

For the kids sure, stick to the plan, but I don't know what my mom and brother were hoping to expect? Maybe it will end up being the one time I missed something great. Oh well, back to watching the Jays blow yet another chance at a series sweep, this will be three in a row. They don't quite have that killer instinct they need just yet.

No comments: