full photostream voidloo. create with flickr badge.

March 12, 2005

20 Questions

I've added a link to a 20 Questions online game against a computer. It is amazingly accurate at times, although there are things it misses, when you challenge it with more obscure items. Most recently it guessed 'beer can' in 19 questions, but took 25 questions to guess 'porcelain doll' when I was going after 'bobblehead', but I figure that's pretty close all things considered. There's plenty of humour to be found too.

I also added a link to 10x10 which is an engine that I heard about recently and remembered to add. Basically it searches the stories at the top online news sources, and tallies the most commonly occurring words, and picks images from the articles as well, and places them in a 10x10 grid, with each picture associated to one of the top 100 occurring words. The idea being that the most common world events are identified for a given time period, I like the idea. Its very visually appealing at the least, although I still find it much more convenient to go to my favourite news source pages to actually read the news then to go through a third party. I really don't think the major goal was functionality. It too has its own little quirks about it, as I look at it currently, the word "Hong" is the 11th most popular word, while "Kong" sits at 31. Perhaps the opposite would make sense with a King Kong movie in the works, but is "Hong" really ever seen without "Kong"? It seems as weird as Cheech without Chong....alright, that's it for now.

No comments: