full photostream voidloo. create with flickr badge.

March 22, 2005

A Day in The Life...

00:01 Started burning a mix MP3 disc for the next week or two of walkin my ass to school.

00:05 Changed from Leno...wait no, Queen Latifah was on Leno after headlines so I switched cause she annoys me. Probably changed from Sportsnet to The Daily Show. Watched Jon Stewart cut up the state of affairs in the U.S. again, in particular a comment on how Bush cut a vacation short for the first time in his presidency to come back and sign a bill to allow Supreme Court injunction or something on the fate of Terri Schiavo, but how he also in his years as Governer of Texas signed a bill allowing hospitals to pull life support on someone after 6 months, and hinting at the economic relationships as such. I think its only funny at this point because its so sad, the hypocrisy of it all.

00:35 Channel surfed around, fell asleep watching a soccer highlight show on the Italian channel.

00:35-07:15 Had some of those dreams that you remember lucidly for about 2 minutes after you wake up, and then they fade. The one that stuck was me deciding to go on a road trip out west, and then drawing graphs in the sand on some beach on the Pacific (like I said, details fade, and I've never really been to the Pacific, so I couldn't tell if it related to anything)

07:30(-15 minutes) Woke up to smack the snooze on my clock radio tuned to the one awful station I receive on it (damnit KoolFM, you used to spin Classic Rock gold, and now I'm lucky if I hear some 80's Springsteen intermixed with the newest Michelle Branch jingle). I have to change the time on it again, cause I have had it set forward 15 minutes for a while and I remember to take it away...the key is to mix things up so you don't remember just how fast it is in your grogginess, forcing you to get up.

08:04 Finally dragged myself outta my nice warm bed, although I was greeted by a nice dose of sunshine when I opened my blinds, and the smell of spring trying to break through. Stumbled to the shower, used more hot water than was probably necessary, what are you gonna do? Grabbed some breakfast, my little brother finished off the Fruit Loops on me...bastard. Settled for a healthy cereal mix of almonds, oatmeal and raisins (I can't verify whether it contained 2 scoops or not), not that I am honestly complaining, when it comes to cereal, I love just about all of it.

08:30 Threw some fresh batteries in my discman, stuffed my bag with some reference textbooks for a project for my Metamorphic Petrology class. Cleaned my sunglasses, and put my feet to the pavement

09:03 Got to school, and decided I would read the news instead of going to my Soil Mechanics class.

09:45 Pulled out my notes for the project, downloaded the data file I'd e-mailed myself, opened the program to analyze the data, which immediately crashed. Opened the program again to see an error dialogue come up. Rinsed and repeated as needed. Still no success, oh, did I mention the part about the assignment being due at 14:30? No? My partner for the project and I decide we can PROBABLY get an extension and work on it at my place, and if not, the 10% per day late won't kill us. We then proceeded to play darts and kill time otherwise until our 11:30 lecture.

12:25 Got back to our student lounge where I was going to work on a group presentation on "Alternative Energy Sources: A Pro-Con Outline", but once again felt the news was more important. Food and darts were then found to be more important also.

14:30 Went to my metamorphic lab (where that project was due) and found out that I was the only one to get the program running on a computer outside of the lab instructor's (yes, I would like a cookie) and so attempted to endear myself to the prof and instructor by telling them I'd let them know what the versions of all my software were in hopes of not getting docked late marks on the project. It probably worked. Also got my lab midterm back, and for the effort I put in, and my feelings coming out of the exam, I did better than expected, not great, but better than expected.

15:05 FINALLY got to work on my part of that group project and worked straight through until our group meeting at 17:30, with a quick break for a slice and some caffeine to keep me going. I am not too concerned over this project after I carried our group through our first presentation for this course, I feel they can pick up the slack this time. I know its not the most helpful or responsible thinking, but like I've posted before, I'm not exactly well motivated this term.

18:35 Put my feet to the pavement to come home again, only to find some of that pavement covered by ice already from the day's melt. It still smelled like spring though, and it wasn't horribly cold after all, so I dealt with it.

19:05 Got home to a warm meal, and a cold beer, and the books I ordered from Amazon last week. Cracked open America (The Book): A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction by the writers of The Daily Show, and started laughing out loud at what I was reading, with Chapter 1 opening:
It is often said that America "invented" democracy. This view is, of course, an understatement; America invented not only democracy, but freedom, justice, liberty, and "time-sharing."

I personally can't wait to read the rest. I also finally got myself a copy of 1984 which I'll probably take for reading on my field trip to Sudbury after exams in April.

21:16 Finished my post, and went to play with Miranda IM, an open-source, plugin based program that allows you to combine MSN, ICQ, Yahoo, AIM, and just about any other chat protocol into one program, using much less in terms of system resources, and costing nothing but some time in set-up and customization. Another alternative to Micro$oft products; see sidebar.

No comments: