full photostream voidloo. create with flickr badge.

April 30, 2005

7:02am

Its been a week since I left for my geology field school, and most of it has been less than exciting. Snow, rain, 8a.m. departures every day and constantly changing schedules such that you can never plan anything worthwhile in your ‘free’ time make it difficult to be excited about anything, except getting home where I have a bit more control. The only news I’ve gotten since last Friday came via an awful FM ‘rock’ radio station out of Sudbury. Why do so many morning radio personalities try so hard to be funny, and sound like morons in the process? We tried tuning in an AM news station on the clock radio we have in our cabin, but after 3 times through the entire band we gave up. The news I have gotten has been less than relevant for the most part, and not at all comprehensive.

I’m writing this now cause I’m killing some time after waking up shortly after 6 with stomach cramps that are either a result of my steak last night, or the water up here catching up to me. Its amazing country up here; just about every view is stunning, but the water that tastes like salted peanuts leaves something to be desired. I took at least a hundred pictures of said views of the landscape, and posted the best of them here. I wish I’d remembered my camera for our quick trip down to Manitoulin Island yesterday. Driving through a native reserve just on the north side of the island we saw a doe eating grass at the side of a road cut. Like I said, its amazing country up here, particularly relative to Southern Ontario.

There’s actual sunlight poking out now, and the loons that were sitting on the water 50 meters from our cabin have gone elsewhere in search for food, or perhaps shade, but they’ll get plenty of that later as a wall of clouds is rolling in from the west, ensuring that we get one last April shower. I sure hope it’s the last. Bring on the May flowers, and June, July, and August girls in bikinis. There are after all various types of natural breathtaking views.

View from our cabin. 22/04/2005.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

View from our cabin. Evening of 23/04/2005.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

View from our cabin later that night...
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Holed up in the cabin. 24/04/2005
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Obligatory scenery shots (I have plenty more, but picked a couple of the best)
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

No comments: