full photostream voidloo. create with flickr badge.

July 19, 2005

One Year On

Well, this post was meant to be written to coincide with the 1 year anniversary of my first post on the 17th, but computer issues on Sunday, and still ongoing have kept me otherwise occupied. Apparently Window$ had issues with the, what I thought to be, trivial 'copy' and 'paste' commands, and did not copy my documents folder over to my storage hard drive before I formatted on Sunday night. Now obviously hindsight is 20/20 and I could have backed up to DVD, or copied everything to my laptop just to be sure, but no, instead I formatted my harddrive and wiped at least 4 years of documents and over a year of pics from my digital camera (nevermind the years worth of pics I had scanned before I got the digital). A couple file recovery programs managed to recover a couple of files intact, but bank records, timesheets for work, old essays, reports, presentations and course notes, all gone. So once again, I am late in bringing my anniversary post to the masses.

I've made a lot of changes, for the better in most cases I think, over the year, although I still haven't managed to figure out the background colour issue on old posts, or how to not make Internet Explorer suck my ass. But its Micro$oft, and obviously my standards for them can't be set too high.

Aside from my computer issues, I've been busy with work this week, 25 hours in 2 days so far, and nice and hot too. Can anyone spell B.O.? Eats up the hours though, and am in good shape for the vacation in August, and I have transportation for it now too, so I'm stoked.

With the heatwave that's been washing over Ontario, power consumption is at all time highs. And yet people still don't get it, a special on CityTV last night showed stores in downtown Toronto with the air conditioning blasting, and the front doors wide open to the street, my university insists on keeping our building about 5 degrees cooler than it really need be, and people in general not thinking about power consumption in general. I was however impressed with the LCBO who have taken to turning off a large percentage of the lights in store in an effort to keep heat and power use down, thus saving me money on my liquor and from a non living in the dark perspective. People expect science to come along with some new fancy way to provide power in a clean and efficient way, but people first need to learn to use what power they get efficiently themselves. Lower demand, less demand for supply, less of all the negative impacts that people draw for all energy resources.

No comments: