full photostream voidloo. create with flickr badge.

July 28, 2005

Possibly the best idea in the world

Sitting at work today I realized that not only do I get paid at midnight, but this weekend is the Civic Holiday long weekend. Since I have a couple extra hours saved up, I think I will be taking full advantage of them and extending my long weekend by taking tomorrow off. In short, wooo its the weekend!

And what's the first article that catches my eye on BBC when I get home? None other than one on open source beer brewing although the fact that it was the first to catch my eye is particularly telling of my mood. Anyways, I love the idea these students have on shared knowledge. My favourite browser (Firefox), e-mail client (Thunderbird) and messenger program (Miranda IM) are all open source and because of that end up being very customizable and practical, all while avoiding the typical Microsoft built in annoying crap that also tends to be particularly prone to security breakdowns and the like. If it works for software, its gotta work for beer. Although I don't know that there's a particular shortage on variety in beer like there tends to be in certain software elements. Can't hurt though.

I read an article somewhere earlier this week suggesting that Doc Halladay might be back with the Jays as early as next week from his fractured shin suffered pre all-star game. That would be amazing as right now they're sitting 4.5 games back of first in the East and 3.5 arear of the wildcard, which is actually closer I think than when Doc went down. As soon as he went down I didn't expect to make it to the end of July still pretending like the Jays had a shot at the playoffs. On top of that, Jon Garland, and Johan Santana didn't take off with numbers giving them a much better shot at the Cy Young than Doc, who if he can bring back his pre-injury form should be a lock for his second Cy in two years. Randy Johnson seems to have found his groove though, and that's scary in the benefit to the Yankees (and so detriment to the Jays shot at the East), and Halladay's chances. Any way it goes, I have to get out to a game soon while they're still in it and give em my support.

Also in the baseball light, long time Brave Greg Maddux became a 3,000 strike-out pitcher the other night, solidifying his position with baseball's all time greats. Another one of those guys that kids grow up idolizing.

No comments: