full photostream voidloo. create with flickr badge.

June 24, 2005

The Days Grow Shorter

3 days into the astronomically defined summer, and the amount of daylight in the northern hemisphere is shortening again, but that's not doing anything about this gorgeous weather. Central Canada is getting either rained out, or in Northern Manitoba , snowed out, but here in Southern Ontario its been a gorgeous Friday to finish off the work week, and to top it all off, its payday. A lot of people find the humidity around here too much, but after having a couple field work terms in the winter, I have learned to appreciate whatever heat I can get when nature wants to give it to me. Granted, we've had like 30 smog advisory days already this year which probably isn't spectacular for my lungs, or anyone elses, and it is clearly visible from a high point at my field site, but unfortunately people are too stubborn to change. I'll keep trying to do my part by riding my bike to work whenever possible, and not using the A/C (since I don't mind the heat anyways), and hope in vain that it catches on with a few more people.

Apparently the Spurs won the NBA finals last night. I couldn't have cared less who of the Spurs or Pistons won. Baseball's the sport of choice right now, and although I'm goin nowhere in my Yahoo fantasy leagues, I'm still tryin to make a stretch run to get me out of the basement in the second half of the season. After looking so good on paper to begin with, most of my numbers have been destroyed by playing with half a roster on the DL, and in one case suspension for enhancing drug use.

The Jays are still relatively in a fairly tight AL East, as compared to past BoSox, Yankees runaway seasons. I'm pissed though that MLB has scheduled Toronto, the last remaining Canadian team, to play in Boston over the Canada Day weekend, Canada Day being Friday. I realize its the American Independance Day as well, but seriously, everyone knows teams play their weekend series' Thursday or Friday to Sunday, and then ship out for a new series starting Monday or Tuesday. Boston's not a cross continent flight. Schedule them to play in Boston on the 4th, and stay in country to play on the 1st. Really I'm just pissed cause I wanted to go see a game next Friday, but oh well.

I think the barbecue calls...

2 comments:

Christielli said...

Don't you miss the good old days when Toronto used to play Montreal on the Canada Day weekend?

Aaron said...

I definitely got used to that tradition with the introduction of interleague play anyways. Its a shame.