full photostream voidloo. create with flickr badge.

June 14, 2005

Foo Copyrighters

I've just spent the last 2 hours trying to get the latest Foo Fighters album, In Your Honor, that I legitimately went out and bought today ripped to MP3. Both discs are copy protected to the point that you can't even play the audio CD as straight audio without it first downloading a license. The first few times I attempted to do this, it had trouble reading the disc, but finally it went ahead and installed the license. A clean looking menu comes up with all the songs on the disc, but then wants you to play them using Media Player, and being a Micro$oft product I am against it. It also gives you an option to copy the tracks to .wma format, but as I found out upon transferring them from my laptop to my PC, these too are copy protected and encrypted such that they won't play in wma form without the license installed, and are impossible to convert to mp3 format, or at least one that sounds like a song. Now while I like the music itself on the album a lot so far, this bullshit to listen to the music via a computer is ridiculous. Yes I understand the music industry has taken a hit from file sharing and the like. Yes I agree that musicians should earn money for their work (although I strongly disagree with record companies themselves making as much as they do by basically riding on the coattails of those more talented). But come on, a person should be able to pop a CD in their computer and grab the tracks to listen to easily on any of their computers (within the same household no less) in whatever media format they like, on whatever media software they choose. I'm highly disappointed with the Foo/Foo Management on this one.

1 comment:

Christielli said...

I experienced the same thing when I bought the Sloan A-Sides CD (mainly for the DVD... I have mostly everything else). The worst for me is that I have an iPod and I can't put my songs on it. I like being able to own a physical CD and put it on my iPod.

I desparately want the new Foo CD but I'm not buying it due to this reason.