full photostream voidloo. create with flickr badge.

October 17, 2005

How To Walk in Public

Why is it when people get into public places they forget how to walk? I'm not talking about stumbling around the bar on a couple pitchers and a few shots, I'm talking walking around a store, or on a sidewalk, or between classes.

There are all kinds of walking offenses that people commit, and it really pisses me off:

1) The formation walkers. When walking down a hallway/aisle you get the group of three or four abreast either infront of you doddling or coming at you, and won't move their asses out of their preset formation. Get over yourselves. Move the fuck out of the way, I'm sure your friends can still hear what you've got to say if they walk a step behind you...I sure can when I'm trying to get down the hall past your slow asses.

2) The speed challenged. I understand if you've got a disability or injury or something keeping you from walking at a normal pace, and I understand taking a leisurely stroll, but when there are a couple thousand people moving between classes, and you happen to not have a class in the next 5 minutes, don't hold everyone else in the world up with your strutting. Everyone knows that all the juicy hints and shit so you don't have to study as hard for exams and assignments get handled in the first few minutes of class.

3) Wanderers. Learn how to walk in a straight line people. Or be prepared to deal with the consequences when I run over you cause you've stepped infront of me for no reason. Its a pain in the ass to walk around your bobbing and weaving ass too, are you pretending you're playin football and avoiding would-be tacklers? And then these people have the audacity to start cussing after me when I ride by them too close cause I can't read minds.

4) Double doors. They put at least two doors at entrances and exits of areas for a reason. They tend to be at least partly glass so you can see traffic coming through them. Use the door on the right, just like lanes of traffic here in North America people (yes, you're living in North America now, so learn the rules and we'll have no problems). when there are two perfectly good doors, don't open the opposite door and then give me a dirty look when I walk right on through and don't let your ass go first.

5) Clogging the system. Why do people find it necessary to stand in packs in the middle of hallways and open spaces? Yes I realize you are probably waiting for something, and hell, it might even be something important, but it can be important off to the side somewhere too so that people who aren't waiting can move on. Its not so important that you and your friends need to make a human monument to your cause and make everyone else filter their way through and around you.

If you get an elbow in the ribs or shoulder against your shoulder, or bike tire up the back of your leg in the future, you probably deserved it.