full photostream voidloo. create with flickr badge.

February 07, 2006

Cathode Ray Tube of the Damned

The other day I mentioned in a drunk mumbling kinda way that my tube monitor was dying. In more detail, it was still displaying picture properly, but the onscreen menu they build into all monitors now (as opposed to the dials and knobs you got on the sweet old school ones)was screwed up, and I could not adjust brightness, contrast, colour, etc. So, I went through a 2 hour ordeal of disconnecting the cables from both my monitors, and rearranging my desk, and then switching the monitors, losing a bunch of shelf space in the process. The end result that my primary monitor became my nice crisp, clear LCD monitor, leaving the tube as the secondary so that when it finally fried i'd still have a working main screen.

Now, all along I've known that the LCD was a much nicer display, but the problem was the deskspace involved with the new set-up. But I didn't realize how much nicer it is for reading long text documents from the screen.

Surfing blogs, reading the news, and now reading the coursenotes for my boring first-year philosophy arts elective; all much better on the LCD, but I'm still not sure I like the clutter everywhere now as I have organizational issues in my room to begin with.

Fast forward to this morning. The dying tube monitor is working perfectly normally again and is just sitting there taunting me like it never happened, "whattsa matter crazy man, you losing your mind?! i was working all along. you need to ease up on the drinking." I've been having some of those vivid, semi-realistic dreams again lately too, which adds to the confusion in an already poor memory lately. Where was I going with this post anyways?

No comments: