full photostream voidloo. create with flickr badge.

February 17, 2006

...Lets Play Ball

My tickets for the Blue Jays regular season opener came in the mail today, and I've got to admit I'm pretty excited about the upcoming season. The moves that they made in the offseason this year should give them a realistic shot at making the playoffs this year over one or both of Boston and New York. Assuming that John Gibbons can get them all to mesh together like the hardworking kind of team they were last year, it should be an exciting late August through September. There are no really big egos on the team, and none of the guys they brought in are known for having egos bigger than their responsibility to the team either, so there should be no issue.

Photo Hosted at Buzznet.comI didn't make it to a single game last year, and for that I was really disappointed in myself and my own committment to the team, my ego just got too big. Rather, my wallet shrunk too small, but this year I plan to make up for it by going to at least three games with the other two most likely candidates so far being the Vernon Wells and Cito Gaston bobblehead days. With all the money they put forward to sign these guys, they're gonna need all the fan support, that is asses in seats (but you'll only need the edge?), that they can get this season. I would like to think they're out of the financial trouble that Montreal went in to and lead to their departure, but if we flop over the next few years with these big contracts, you can be sure the fan support will dwindle and there will be some concerns about baseball staying in Canada.

Now, I would be lying if I were to say my motives lie only in the support of my team. The only time I really go to Toronto anymore is for the Jays games, not the trips to the ROM or CN Tower as a kid, or the occasional concert that I used to have money for. Since I didn't go to a game last summer, it has been nearly 2 years since I showed my face downtown, and towards the end of last summer, that lead to a major bout of Street Meat Withdrawal Syndrome or SMWS.

Sure I spend many evenings in the summer barbecuing some great processed meat, and some great natural cuts as well. And there's always a vendor or two along my path to and from the university. But nothing can compare with the juicy perfection of a big city street meat vendor, they are simply untouchable. Last summer I didn't get even a nibble of the greatness, and so, along with showing my support for the Blue Jays, I'll be working on fulfilling a two-year quota of delicious tube-steaks. O.K. Blue Jays!

No comments: