full photostream voidloo. create with flickr badge.

September 10, 2005

Cable versus A Dollar Well Spent

Its come to my attention a couple times in the past few days that I am missing some particularly interesting television. A couple different bloggers out there have posted links back to Crooks and Liars with at the very least humourous, and usually quite relevant discussions or quips by those in media. I sit here with the basic cable package and the next step up which basically gives me coverage of the big broadcast networks in the U.S. and some iffy Canadian cable (along with some admittedly good stuff). And while I'm sure there's stuff on the networks that I feel I'm missing that I really should miss, there's some stuff I'd love to see without either downloading, or staying up all hours of the night to see.

The Daily Show on Comedy, and Bill Maher on HBO in particular, and at times MSNBC even. The only 24/7 news network I can actually get 24/7 here seems to be CNN and the CNN Headline News. Aside from being generally redundant there are just certain personalities I can't take. With the CBC being on strike they've been carrying more BBC news lately, and I try to watch that when I can.

But there is a whole assload of shit on my cable that I don't want or need....American and Canadian Idol are everything that's wrong with music, most of the new sitcoms on TV are tired, and the old classics are only so funny the first 10 or 20 times.

I guess what I'm basically asking for, while knowing that it will never happen in a fair way financially, is that I could pick and choose the 10 channels I actually watch and forget about the rest.

Maybe the internet has just done too good a job of taking over and offering me almost everything I want to see at a couple clicks, and a file transfer's notice.

No comments: