full photostream voidloo. create with flickr badge.

September 11, 2005

Provincial Government Stands Up

I just came across an article from the CBC on the Shariah law movement in Ontario. There were protests this weekend around the world against adopting legislation that would allow Islamic law to be used as a proxy in Ontario. Now from what I've read, when practiced properly these laws are generally fair to all parties, but I agree fully with not allowing religious practice into the judicial system. Yes we here in Canada live in a very multicultural society, with many different religious backgrounds, but in order to maintain a society that is fair to all those parties, the central bodies should not have a whole bunch of different separate laws that are applicable to the church bodies in the province. I understand that there are currently other bodies afforded the same special privilege to impose their own law, and I think those too should be abolished.

The fact is that Canada is the cliched mixing pot of the world, and that everyone should respect all the other beliefs in the society around us. But I also feel that once you have become a member of a new society, in most cases to escape the practices of an old culture, one central system of law should be followed.

I've always believed that the central ideas of all religions are on the right path, but I also feel that there are far too many openings to misinterpretation, and arbitrary 'rules and regulations' in each religion. To start allowing each and every group that comes along to provide their own variations, while being the neighbours of people of completely different belief is unfair to everyone.

Feedback and debate on this is welcomed, maybe I'm missing some key points?

No comments: