full photostream voidloo. create with flickr badge.

April 17, 2006

Serious Case of the Mondays

Have I mentioned I hate office work? No?

I hate the shit...which is weird since I end up spending a lot of time infront of my computer at home. Maybe that's why. Or its that my computer at work is a slow piece of shit, and I can't run winamp while I have more than an excel spreadsheet or firefox window open. Yeah, I spoil myself with my computers like any other nerd, so it frustrates me in the workplace I guess. Moreso when there's no work to do.

Its harder work to make yourself look like you're busy than it is to actually be busy in most cases, but them's the breaks, and the promise of my first paycheque in 7 months will keep me goin' for now. In all honesty, it doesn't even have to with a bunch of fieldwork to do in the next two weeks, its just easier to bitch than have something positive to say.

That said, I'm gonna bust my ass tomorrow, and try to be back to the office, changed into my jersey, and ready to head to toronto for a $2 Tuesday Jays game against none other than the Bronx Bombers. They won't be the same sexy seats I had a few weeks ago, but I'm not making THAT much money. And when its the Yankees, anywhere is a good seat to show your support from.

It would be impossible to expect to top the last Yankees-Jays game I went to anyways, and having to work again the next morning, I almost wouldn't want it to.
"April 19, 2001...Played the longest game in club history vs the Yankees, 5:57 in a 6-5 loss in 17 innings..."

That 'longest game' was surpassed last year I believe, but that was the last time I was at the Dome when the Yankees were the visiting squad. I got a last minute call from one of my highschool buddies saying he had an extra free ticket and that they could be by in 5 minutes to pick my ass up. We got to the gates in the home half of the first, and I got my first look at my ticket: Section 118, Row 4 (aisle)...or more roughly translated, 4 rows behind the Visitors dugout.

Like I quoted before, the game went 17 innings, and by the 12th we were just a few of the maybe 3,000 people left, and had moved up to the 2nd row behind the dugout (the ushers for whatever reason didn't want to let us in the empty first row infront of us). Being immature kids, the entire Yankees squad heard some pretty lameass commentary on the pastimes of their mothers all night. We might have managed to slip in one or two actual noteworthy burns, but I don't remember.

The one I do remember clearly was probably in the 14th or 15th as Chucky Knoblauch, doing his experimental outfield stint, came walking back to the dugout after an at bat, and one of my buddies, already hoarse, and having used up anything even close to witty busts out: "Heeeeeey, Knoblauch!.........|exagerrated pause|.....You're Short!". The only comment of the whole night that actually drew a reaction; Knoblauch, by then below the lid of the dugout takes two steps back up, looks at us and just shakes his head.

We lost the game, but still by far the best game and seats I ever got, and to top it off they were free. I don't hope to be rolling in at 4am this Wednesday morning before work though, so lets hope the Jays can blast those no good New Yawkers out by the 5th and let Chacin and B.J. Ryan polish off the rest of the game in a timely fashion.

No comments: